Council Housing Rent Arrears

If you are having difficulty paying your rent, you should contact the Rent Control Section as soon as possible. Our officers are here to help you and will be able to advise you about local housing allowance and any other benefits you may be able to claim.

If you are in arrears, we can arrange for you to repay your debt in manageable instalments that suit your own budget. If you keep to the arrangement to reduce your arrears, we will not take any further action against you.

However, we do not accept non-payment of rent. This means that, if necessary, we will take legal action to ensure that rent is paid. This could eventually lead to your eviction. If we do have to take court action against you, we will add our court costs to your debt.

Please remember that your home is at risk if you do not pay your rent. Even if your rent is paid by local housing allowance, it is still your responsibility to make sure that the rent is paid.

You might find our "debt advice leaflet" useful by following this link.

If you are a former Council tenant and you left your rented property without paying your rent account in full, Tendring District Council will continue to take action to recover the debt. If an agreement is not made to pay off the debt this may affect any future application for social housing accommodation.

If you spot anything wrong, or outdated with this page, please let us know by clicking on the button below.
Please note this is only to report webpage issues or broken links, please report any other issues using the correct form.
Report an issue with this page

Please help us improve our website by giving us feedback you'd like to on this page. If you'd like to remain anonymous you can omit your name and email. Thanks, Tendring District Council.

Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.