Finding Somewhere to Rent

With demand far exceeding the supply for social housing, more and more people are renting from private landlords. Tendring District Council has been working in partnership with a number of Letting Agents and Landlords to encourage them to accept households in receipt of welfare benefits.

Where to look

There are many different types of housing available to rent privately. You might be looking to rent a self-contained flat or house, or just a room. Accommodation will be advertised in a number of places such as -

Deposits, rent in advance, admin fees and guarantors

Most landlords will require one, if not all, of the above, before you are able to secure a tenancy.

If you are on a low income, some agents and landlords may ask that someone acts as a guarantor for you. This is someone who either owns their own house, or earns enough money to cover the rent.

Deposit Protection Scheme

If you are an assured Shorthold tenant and you paid your tenancy deposit:

  • On or after 6 April 2007
  • Before 6 April 2007, but your tenancy was renewed after that date

Your landlord must protect it with a Government approved tenancy deposit protection scheme.

The schemes In England and Wales are:

Your Landlord must provide you with certain information about the protection of your deposit; including the details of the scheme they have used and how to get your deposit back when you leave.

Help with your rent

If you have a low income you may be able to get some help to pay your rent. For more information see our benefits page.

Under 35 years old?

Please note that most single people under 35 years old who claim benefits will only get the shared accommodation rate to help pay their rent. This amount will only be enough to rent a room or bedsit. For more information see our benefits pages.

Renting a room, house share or flat share

Generally when renting a room or sharing a house/flat, you would have your own bedroom but you would share communal areas such as the kitchen, lounge and bathroom with other people at the property.

The following websites may help you find a house share or room to let-

Before taking on a property

Please be aware of your rights and responsibilities before taking on a property. You should always make sure that the condition of the property and any items of furniture are recorded in an inventory, the property is affordable for you and the tenancy agreement states where your deposit is held.

Our private sector housing pages provide information for landlords, owners and tenants including information about illegal eviction, grants and energy efficiency advice.

Last updated on: 09/08/2021 - 13:36