Asylum seekers support

Most asylum seekers are not entitled to local authority housing assistance whilst their applications for asylum are being considered. Those who may be helped needed to have arrived in the United Kingdom prior to April 2000 and would have made their applications for asylum at the port of entry. Asylum seekers can still seek housing advice from a local authority.

If an asylum seeker is not eligible for housing assistance from a local housing authority, they can seek help from the National Asylum Support Service (NASS). In the first instance, people should contact the local office of the Refugee Council in Ipswich. The Refugee Council will assess if the asylum seeker is entitled to assistance from NASS and advise on a wide range of options.  Please see their website under our useful links area or telephone them on 01473 297900.

Last updated on: 06/02/2014 - 15:01