Apply For Housing
If you would like to apply for Council accommodation, you will need to join the housing register.
Applicants should note that due to a high demand for housing in the district, many people who are eligible to join the housing register might not obtain an offer of a home. Only those with an urgent housing need will have the highest priority and will be considered for any available council properties, or be nominated to a registered housing provider.
There are currently over 2000 households on our Housing register.
To see the amount of properties we own in each part of the district please read "A guide to council accommodation" here.
Who can join the housing register?
Anyone aged 16 or over can join the housing register if:
- The applicant can demonstrate they have a clear housing need; and
- The applicant has lived in the Tendring area continuously for the last three years.
If the applicant lives outside of the Tendring area they can only join the housing register if they have a clear housing need; and
- They meet the armed forces criteria; or
- They are a former resident of Tendring who were placed in specialist accommodation not available in the Tendring area.
The following people will NOT be eligible to join the housing register
- People from abroad who are subject to immigration control under the Asylum and Immigration Act 1996, unless they are already a secure or introductory tenant of the council or an assured tenant of a registered provider, or in a class prescribed by regulations made by the Secretary of State.
- People who the council considers are unsuitable to be tenants of the council because they, or a member of their household, have been responsible for unacceptable behaviour.
How Can I Apply?
If you would like to join the housing register, please follow the link below and complete the application form.
A walkthrough to help you with this can be found here walkthrough
Please note, If you have to leave your current accommodation, or you have nowhere to live, you will need to have an assessment with a Housing Solutions Officer before joining the Housing Register. Please go to the Homelessness Advice page.
This department will still be accepting new applications for mutual exchanges; however, there will be some disruption to the service to ensure the Council complies with Government guidelines.We appreciate your patience in this matter.
For more information on mutual exchange, please visit www.homeswapper.co.uk (link is external)
Re-registration of your application
We are no longer issuing registration cards as this can now be done online via your Housing Jigsaw account.
For those that cannot access their online account, please contact us to register your interest in remaining on the housing register. You can do so via telephone on 01255 686466 (10am-4pm, Monday – Friday) or via email at email@example.com (link opens e-mail).
Please be aware, due to the reduced service there may be a disruption to the usual telephone service, therefore, we recommend that you contact us via our email address: firstname.lastname@example.org (link sends e-mail). If you are under the threat of homelessness or you are currently homeless please visit our homelessness advice page.