Boat and Boatman Licensing

Please note that the Licensing Office is open for pre-arranged appointments only. Documents can be posted or emailed to the Licensing Office.

Tendring District Council is responsible for the licensing of boats and boatmen where up to twelve members of the public are transported, whether on a commercial or charitable basis, for whatever reason.  The boats have to pass a full Marine Survey and carry a set amount of equipment which must comply with the necessary standards and be maintained to those standards.  The person in charge must also be suitably qualified to pilot the type of vessel involved.  An insurance policy must be in force and prior to applying for a boat licence, you should confirm with the Licensing Section the level of insurance cover that is required.

The areas that are licensed by the Council are subject to various limits with regard to the distance boats may go from the shore and beyond these limits or, if the boat carries more than twelve passengers, you will need to contact the Maritime and Coastguard Agency for advice.

Tendring District Council only issue Boat and Boatman Licences for those who operate within the following areas: Brightlingsea, Harwich, Walton on the Naze, and St Osyth. The fee for both a Boat or Boatman's Licences is £63.00 for each application. This fee is reviewed on an annual basis. All licences expire yearly on 31 March.

How to apply

If you wish to apply for a Boat or Boatman Licence you can download the relevant forms by clicking on the links below.

Click here to view the Boat Conditions

Applications are usually dealt with within 2 weeks of receipt of a full application.  In very exceptional circumstances the deadline may be required to be extended, you will be notified of the new deadline and the reason for extending it.

Immigration, Asylum & Nationality Act 2006

To comply with the Immigration, Asylum & Nationality Act 2006 this Council is required to check your eligibility to live and work in the UK.  You will be required to confirm that you are able to live and work in the UK and that on request, you will be able to provide evidence of this.

The main Act of Parliament governing Boats and Boatman are:-

Recreational Craft Regulations 2004

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted.

Licensing Office

Town Hall, Station Road, Clacton on Sea, Essex, CO15 1SE


Essential Link

If you spot anything wrong, or outdated with this page. Please let us know by clicking on the button below.
Please note this is only to report webpage issues or broken links, please report any other issues using the correct form.
Report an issue with this page

Please help us improve our website by giving us feedback you'd like to on this page. If you'd like to remain anonymous you can omit your name and email. Thanks, Tendring District Council.

Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.
By clicking “Accept All Cookies”, you agree to the storing of cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyze site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts. View our privacy policy for more information.