Energy Efficiency

The Council aims to help residents within the district to reduce energy expenditure in their home. Energy efficiency work contributes to tackling climate change, increases the provision of affordable warmth in Tendring and can save money on residents’ fuel bills.

The main functions of our service include:

  • Referring people to home insulation grant schemes
  • Maximising the grant funding available within the district
  • Committing to reach net zero carbon by 2030 – having issued a Climate Emergency

If you are interested in making your home more energy efficient by installing; cavity wall insulation, loft insulation, external wall insulation, an energy efficient boiler and more; please contact your energy provider and enquire about any available deals. Additionally, you may be eligible for a Green Homes Grant voucher or ECO grant as described below.

Energy Company Obligation (ECO)

The Energy Company Obligation (ECO) is a government run energy efficiency scheme in Great Britain to help reduce carbon emissions and tackle fuel poverty. For more information please visit the Ofgem ECO webpage.

Funding is provided to qualifying households to help cut their energy bills and reduce carbon emissions by installing energy saving measures. Available measures can be fully or partially funded and include: cavity wall insulation, loft insulation, room in roof insulation, solid wall insulation, electric storage heaters, boiler replacement, first time heating systems and renewables.

Grant funding is calculated using Ofgem deemed carbon and savings scores and will differ between property types, property sizes, fuel types and insulation levels. All ECO grant funding is subject to a property assessment by a qualified ECO installer.

ECO – Local Authority Flexible Eligibility

ECO funding is aimed at households living in fuel poverty and those on a low income and vulnerable to the cold. To extend the scheme to include those households not in receipt of a qualifying benefit the government introduced Local Authority Flexible Eligibility (LA Flex) that enables local authorities to identify households in fuel poverty or living on a low income and vulnerable to the cold as stipulated in their published Statement of Intent (below).

(Superseded - Statement of Intent - ECO version 1)

Statement of Intent ECO version 2

Households that meet the relevant criteria can apply for an LA Flex declaration by submitting a Local Authority Declaration, Eligibility form and providing proof of eligibility. Proof of eligibility will need to be provided in the form of two months of bank statements that clearly show the outgoing rent and/or mortgage and earnings/savings.


Local Authority Declaration 

Eligibility form

To find a qualified ECO installer please contact your energy company who will be able to give you a list of funded installers in your area.

Printed forms are available by contacting the Energy Efficiency Team on: 01255 686798 or

All forms need to be signed where indicated or they will be returned to the sender for completion.

Green Homes Grant Local Authority Delivery Scheme

If you're an Essex homeowner with a household income below £30,000, you may be eligible for up to £10,000 of work to make energy efficient improvements to your home.

This could include fitting loft insulation, cavity or solid wall insulation or energy efficient heating. The funding covers the entire cost of the improvements, up to £10,000.


Applications for the Green Homes Grant Local Authority Delivery Scheme are now open. Register your interest here

The Energy Hub and Warmworks are delivering the scheme in Essex.

Call 0808 196 8255 for further details.


To be eligible for the scheme, you must:

If you have a household income above £30,000, you may still be eligible if you or someone in your household receives:

  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Carer’s Allowance
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Constant Attendance Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Guaranteed Pension Credit
  • income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Universal Credit
  • War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement
  • Working Tax Credit

Funding is also available for private landlords, local authority-owned properties and social housing, however a 33% contribution from the landlord is required and the maximum funding per property is £5,000.

Energy Advice

To receive free and impartial advice on energy saving measures you can contact one of the following:

The Energy Saving Trust

0300 123 1234

Citizen’s Advice

Simple Energy Advice

0800 444 202

Tendring District Council’s Energy Efficiency team

01255 686798

Essex Energy Switch

If you are thinking about switching your energy provider, visit the Essex Energy Switch Page; on this page you will find details on how to apply and how much savings could be on offer!

Home Energy Conservation Act

Home Energy Strategy & Report 2017

Home Energy Strategy Appendix B

HECA Report 2019

If you are unable to print or view any document, or for any other enquiries please email or telephone 01255 686617.

Last updated on: 29/11/2021 - 09:08