Service charge disputes

We will always try to make sure that the amounts you are charged are calculated correctly and fairly. However, if you think we have miscalculated something or charged you for something you have not had, please contact our Administrative Support Manager to explain which of the charges you are disputing and why. You must still pay for items you do not disagree with.

We will investigate all complaints and either adjust your account or write and explain why you have been charged what you have.

If, after receiving our reply, you still think you are being unfairly charged, you can apply to a Leasehold Valuation Tribunal. This is independent and impartial and will decide whether the charges are reasonable or not. The panel is normally made up of a lawyer, a valuer and a lay person, and they will hear evidence from both parties before making a decision. The tribunal's decision is final and can be enforced. However, if the panel agree to it, you can appeal to the Land Tribunal.

If you have been charged for work or services that have already been carried out or provided, you can apply to the Leasehold Valuation Tribunal to decide:

  • whether the costs are reasonable;
  • whether the work or services were of a reasonable standard;
  • whether the amount of any advance payment we ask for is reasonable.

You can also use a Leasehold Valuation Tribunal to challenge the cost of any work we are planning.

As your landlord, we can also apply to the Leasehold Valuation Tribunal to check that our charges, either for works done or planned, are reasonable.

If you apply to the Leasehold Valuation Tribunal, you have to pay a set fee. For more details about how to apply to the tribunal, please see the Ministry of Justice website. For independent advice, you can also contact the Leasehold Advisory Service, Maple House, 149 Tottenham Court Road, London W1T 7VN, telephone 020 7383 9800 or access their website. You can find these in our useful links area.


Essential Link

If you spot anything wrong, or outdated with this page. Please let us know by clicking on the button below.
Please note this is only to report webpage issues or broken links, please report any other issues using the correct form.
Report an issue with this page

Please help us improve our website by giving us feedback you'd like to on this page. If you'd like to remain anonymous you can omit your name and email. Thanks, Tendring District Council.

Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.
By clicking “Accept All Cookies”, you agree to the storing of cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyze site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts. View our privacy policy for more information.