Please follow this link to our new Website https://www.tendringcoastalheritage.org.uk/
Resorting to the Coast
Resorting to the Coast is a brand new project between Tendring district’s coastal heritage communities, its schools, local volunteers and the public to celebrate the glorious heritage of our seaside resorts. The coastal towns involved in our project are Harwich & Dovercourt, Walton-on-the-Naze, Frinton-on-Sea, Clacton-on-Sea and Jaywick Sands.
Over the next two years, between now and July 2019, the Resorting to the Coast project will deliver lots of activities, all for free, inviting everyone to become involved. We’re inviting you to rediscover and celebrate the history of our seaside resorts. Here’s a sample of what’s coming up:
- Local history groups across the Tendring coastal towns will be recording 25 oral histories with those who remember our seaside heritage. Volunteers are invited to learn how to record oral history interviews. Or perhaps you remember Clown Bertram and have memories to share?!
- Opportunities for volunteers to become involved with Resorting to the Coast with training courses in history research skills, oral history recording, performing seaside entertainments, transcribing interviews.
- A schools programme with 10 schools in the Tendring coastal towns and the production of activity and learning resources based around our Tendring seaside heritage and the growth of these holiday resorts.
- Two seaside conferences for academics, heritage professionals and keen hobbyists to showcase their research about our wider British seaside heritage (with a focus on Tendring’s own heritage). The conferences will be in partnership with the University of East London.
- The creation of two coastal heritage trails linking the new coastal path with interpretation and activities.
- The design and creation of a touring exhibition showcasing the research by our volunteers. Become a volunteer for this!
- Our full website will be launched in the late Autumn of 2017 and will host all the material produced from Resorting to the Coast project and attractions on the heritage trails, activities for kids and families.
- A grand finalé seaside heritage day coming in the summer of 2019.
Resorting to the Coast is funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund and Essex County Council in partnership with Tendring District Council and the freely given time of our dedicated volunteers for the project.