Report A Death

When somebody dies, the Council Tax account needs to be amended.

How we treat the deceased person's property for Council Tax purposes depend on the circumstances.

To report a death to the Council Tax department, please complete the bereavement form.

If other people live in the property

If other people live in the property, we will determine which of them should be liable for Council Tax. Depending on the circumstances, they might be entitled to a discount.

If the deceased person was the sole occupier

If the deceased person was a tenant, the Council Tax for the empty property will become the landlords responsibility.

If the deceased person owned the property, we will often be able to apply Class F exemption to the executor's account which will last for up to 6 months after the date that probate is granted.

However, if there is only one beneficiary and the same person is the only personal representative (as named in the will), then they are deemed to have a material interest in the property from the date of death and will be billed Council Tax as the owner. In this case, no exemption will be applied.


Essential Link

If you spot anything wrong, or outdated with this page. Please let us know by clicking on the button below.
Please note this is only to report webpage issues or broken links, please report any other issues using the correct form.
Report an issue with this page

Please help us improve our website by giving us feedback you'd like to on this page. If you'd like to remain anonymous you can omit your name and email. Thanks, Tendring District Council.

Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.
By clicking “Accept All Cookies”, you agree to the storing of cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyze site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts. View our privacy policy for more information.