Partly occupied property relief (Section 44a)

A rate payer is liable for the full non-domestic rate whether a property is wholly occupied or only partly occupied. Where a property is partly occupied for a short time, the local authority has discretion in certain cases to award relief in respect of the unoccupied part.

The council will consider written (including email) applications, together with a plan of your property with the area highlighted that you are temporarily not using.

You will need to state your reasons for the request and give an indication when you expect to fully use the property. Please provide a contact telephone number to arrange an inspection of the premises.

Successful applicants will receive a 3 month (or 6 month if industrial) exemption on the unoccupied part followed by 100% charge.


Essential Link

If you spot anything wrong, or outdated with this page. Please let us know by clicking on the button below.
Please note this is only to report webpage issues or broken links, please report any other issues using the correct form.
Report an issue with this page

Please help us improve our website by giving us feedback you'd like to on this page. If you'd like to remain anonymous you can omit your name and email. Thanks, Tendring District Council.

Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.
By clicking “Accept All Cookies”, you agree to the storing of cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyze site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts. View our privacy policy for more information.