Discretionary Housing Payments

If all of your rent is not paid by either housing benefit or the housing element of Universal Credit, you may be able to get some extra help for a short period of time.  This will give you the opportunity to either look for cheaper alternative accommodation or negotiate a lower rent with your landlord.  If you would like to apply for help with your shortfall in rent please complete the application form below.

Please do not forget to upload your most current 2 months bank statements.  We will not be able to process your application until the statements have been provided.  If you are sending the statements in separately, please remember to tick the box on the application form.

Before completing the form please be aware of the following:

  • We will not be able to process your application until the statements have been provided.
  • We can’t consider your application if your housing benefit/universal credit housing element award is not currently in payment.
  • Please allow ten working days before chasing an application as repeat enquiries can slow down the process.

Help to pay your top up rent apply here

Help for removal costs and/or a deposit for cheaper accommodation

You can apply for a one off payment if, for example, you need to pay a deposit for a cheaper property and/or need help with your removal costs.

If you are awarded a one off payment, this will be paid when your claim for Housing Benefit has been processed or you have made a claim for Universal Credit. We will not make a payment if you do not have a current live Housing Benefit claim or have been awarded the housing element of Universal Credit. Please make sure that your removal company and/or landlord know that the DHP one-off payment may not be paid before your Housing Benefit/Universal Credit is finalised.

Applications can be made by email to benefitsmail@tendringdc.gov.uk

Read the DHP policy in full here.


Essential Link

If you spot anything wrong, or outdated with this page. Please let us know by clicking on the button below.
Please note this is only to report webpage issues or broken links, please report any other issues using the correct form.
Report an issue with this page

Please help us improve our website by giving us feedback you'd like to on this page. If you'd like to remain anonymous you can omit your name and email. Thanks, Tendring District Council.

Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.
By clicking “Accept All Cookies”, you agree to the storing of cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyze site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts. View our privacy policy for more information.