A wide range of proactive steps are being taken by the Government in an effort to reduce the impact of the present economic conditions.
Information to help prevent repossessions for homeowners is set out below. For further details please refer to the mortgage advice leaflet.
Protection through the courts
- A pre action protocol has been introduced setting out what lenders should do before taking action to repossess in the County Court.
Extra advice for households at court
- There is a housing repossession court duty scheme which provides advice to householders who find themselves at court.
- The scheme is funded by the Community Legal Services Commission with contributions from the Communities and Local Government department.
- For the Tendring residents, this service is operated by Shelter and you can contact them by telephone on 0344 5151860.
Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI)
- This is a scheme that provides support for out of work households by giving them help to meet their mortgage interest payments.
- You must be receiving one of the following benefits to qualify for Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI)
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Pension Credit