Have your parents asked you to leave home?

Living at home can be difficult and you won't always see eye to eye with your parents, carers or siblings. If you are having problems at home, moving out is not the only option. Living independently from your family can be difficult and ideally you should stay with your family until you can leave home in a planned way.

If you have been asked to leave home by your parents/carers, or your relationship with them has broken down, we can refer you and your family to a local mediation service, free of charge, to try and help you and your family resolve your situation. Mediation is a confidential and informal process with a third person called a mediator. The mediator does not take sides but helps everyone involved to talk about how they feel and find solutions to their problems.

If you would like to discuss your situation with a Housing Options Officer please telephone 01255 686438, 686444, 686445 or 686446 between 8.45am and 5.15pm Monday to Thursday and 8.45am to 4.45pm Friday. The Housing Options Officer may visit you and your family at home to discuss your situation further and offer advice.

You can also contact Housing Services by e-mailing housingmail@tendringdc.gov.uk.

If we are unable to help you resolve your situation at home it maybe that your parents/carers will allow you to remain at home whilst we give you advice on other housing options so you are able to move out of home in a planned way. These options will depend on your age and situation but may include:

  • Applying for housing on our housing register.
  • Giving you advice on low cost home ownership schemes.
  • Giving you advice to find private rented accommodation.

If you are 16 or 17 years olds your options may be different to those above. "Please see Housing information for 16 or 17 year olds" leaflet.

If your homelessness cannot be prevented we will assess whether we have any duty to assist you with accommodation.

Last updated on: 27/09/2017 - 11:46