Getting advice on altering older/ protected buildings

Usually, projects involving listed buildings are more complicated and they require specialist advice It is tempting to dispense with professional services in order to save money, but that often proves to be more troublesome and costly in the long run.

Old Building Specialists

The Institute of Historic Building Conservation (IHBC) is the principal professional body for building conservation practitioners and historic environment specialists working in England.

The Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) keep a register of such specialists and can supply you with a list of recommendations.
Lists of Architects Accredited in Building Conservation (RIBA/AABC) are also held by RIBA and the Society of the protection of Ancient Buildings (SPAB) also hold lists of architects.

Conservation Specialists

Materials and fittings used in building period houses are often vulnerable and could be irretrievably damaged by inexpert treatment. To find specialists for tasks such as the cleaning of masonry or paint, mortar analysis, or the installation of services in protected houses, try

Structural Engineers

This type of specialist will carry out a structural survey of a property you are thinking of buying, or help you decide on the suitable structural repairs of an old building. Is best to employ an engineer who has had experience of surveying older houses. The institute of Civil Engineers (ICE) and the Institute of Structural Engineers (IstrucE) hold lists of engineers accredited in building conservation - the Conservation Accreditation Register of Engineers (CARE).

Last updated on: 11/06/2021 - 11:32