Pre-application discussions with neighbours and others

Are discussions really necessary?

In almost all cases the answer will be yes. Even on the simplest application for a small house extension early discussion with neighbours can help to highlight any problems and give you the chance to work together through any concerns they may have.

We encourage pre-application discussions with neighbours and others and welcome applications that address the concerns of those affected by your proposals.

If you have prepared your application in line with advice then your chances of a quick and successful decision will be greatly improved. If your application is contentious you will have presented it in the best light and considered possible objections.

Who should I talk to?

There is no easy answer to this, since it will depend on what is being proposed. The following list is a guide to some of the people you may wish to discuss your proposals with;

  • Neighbours
    This is strongly recommended. Many people are hurt or offended if they hear of an application from the Council rather than from you. Quite often small changes can make all the difference to your neighbour.
  • Parish Councils / Councillors have a wealth of local knowledge that may be useful to you.
  • Highways Authority at Essex County Council can advise you on all road and access matters.
  • Environment Agency can advise on flooding and whether a Flood Risk Assessment is needed through their website. They can also advise on how to deal with foul sewage, especially in non-public sewered areas. Please note that the Environment Agency now charge for their pre application advice service.
  • Anglian Water are responsible for public foul sewers and can advise on the location of sewers and new connections. Please note that Anglian Water now charge for their pre application advice service.
  • Archaeology at Essex County Council can advise on how to deal with any archaeological interest.
  • Natural England is essential if protected species, such as bats or newts, live on or close to the site. Remember that timber framed barns or ponds are especially likely to contain protected species.
  • Environmental Services at Tendring can advise you on pollution measures you should include to mitigate any effects. 
Last updated on: 24/07/2017 - 09:37