Useful Links


General Building Control

LABC represents local authority building control departments, but also contains useful information for homeowners.

A guide to extending your home
Essex Building Control Page

Planning Portal
The UK Governments online planning and building regulations site provides useful information and copies of approved documents that can be downloaded free of charge.  These form the technical "Parts" of the Building Regulations.

Essex Fire and Rescue Service 
Provides useful fire safety information for homeowners.

Professional Institutions

Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors
The Chartered Association of Building Engineers
The Royal Institution of British Architects
The Chartered Institute of Building
The Institution of Engineering and Technology
Formerly The Institution of Electrical Engineers, or I.E.E.

The Institution of Structural Engineers
Find a structural engineer in your area.

The Institution of Civil Engineers
The Chartered Institute of Building Service Engineers
Federation of Master Builders
National Federation of Builders

Conservation of fuel and power, replacement windows and self - certification schemes

Oil Fired Technical Association
The engineer that fits and services your oil fired boiler should be OFTEC registered.

Gas Safe Register
Make sure that the engineer that fits or services your gas boiler is Gas Safe registered.
Heating Equipment Testing and Approval Scheme
HETAS operates a registration scheme for heating engineers installing and maintaining solid fuel appliances.
Chartered Institution of Plumbing and Heating Engineers
Find a registered plumber.
Glass and Glazing Federation
Fenestration Self-Assessment Scheme
If the company installing your replacement windows is FENSA registered you do not need separate building regulation approval.

National Inspection Council for Electrical Installation Contracting
One of the bodies who run a 'Part P' competent persons scheme for electricians.

National Association of Professional Inspectors and Testers
One of the bodies who run a 'Part P' competent persons scheme for electricians.

Local Utilities

Affinity Water
Previously known as Veolia Water Services.
Anglian Water Services Ltd
Contact for sewer related questions.


Royal Association for Disability Rights
Royal National Institute for the Blind
Action on Hearing Loss (formerly Royal National Institute for the Deaf)

Other Organisations

The Environment Agency
You can search on your postcode to determine your flood risk.
The British Board of Agrément
Issues certificates for construction products and systems.
British Standards Institution
Purchase British standards.
Building Research Establishment
Independent, third-party certification and testing


Last updated on: 21/10/2019 - 08:52