Application to be on the Housing Register
The housing register will be open to new applicants from 1 March 2021.
The council is in the process of upgrading the housing allocations system and soon we will be writing to all those that have applied to be on housing register to invite them to re-new their interest online.
For more information please visit this page regularly.
Apply For Housing
If you would like to apply for Council accommodation you will need to join the housing register.
Applicants should note that due to a high demand for housing in the district, many people who are eligible to join the housing register may not obtain an offer of a home. Only those with an urgent housing need will have the highest priority and will be considered for any available council properties, or be nominated to a registered housing provider.
There are currently over 1700 households on our Housing register.
To see the amount of properties we own in each part of the district please read "A guide to council accommodation" here.
Who can join the housing register?
Anyone aged 16 or over can join the housing register if:
- The applicant can demonstrate they have a clear housing need; and
- The applicant has lived in the Tendring area continuously for the last three years.
If the applicant lives outside of the Tendring area they can only join the housing register if they have a clear housing need; and
- They meet the armed forces criteria; or
- They are a former resident of Tendring who were placed in specialist accommodation not available in the Tendring area.
The following people will NOT be eligible to join the housing register
- People from abroad who are subject to immigration control under the Asylum and Immigration Act 1996, unless they are already a secure or introductory tenant of the council or an assured tenant of a registered provider, or in a class prescribed by regulations made by the Secretary of State.
- People who the council considers are unsuitable to be tenants of the council because they, or a member of their household, have been responsible for unacceptable behaviour.
How Can I Apply?
*If you have to leave your current accommodation, or you have nowhere to live, you will need to have an assessment with a Housing Solutions Officer before joining the Housing Register. Please click here to complete the form
If you would like to join the housing register you will firstly need to complete a Housing Register Pre-Assessment Form (bring back online). We will then contact you to let you know whether you are eligible to join the housing register or not.
This department will still be accepting new applications for mutual exchanges; however, there will be some disruption to the service to ensure the Council complies with Government guidelines.We appreciate your patience in this matter.
For more information on mutual exchange, please visit www.homeswapper.co.uk
The Allocations team will not be undertaking any home visits to comply with the Government guidelines. As an alternative, an officer will be conducting the verification over the telephone. Due the ongoing pandemic, we have a significant backlog of applicants that require visits. We appreciate your patience in this matter and an officer will contact you as soon as they are able.
Re-registration of your application
To re-register your interest in remaining on the Housing Register you will need to return your card to:-
- Housing Allocations, Council Offices, 88-90 Pier Avenue, Clacton-On-Sea, Essex, CO15 1TN
As a part of the upgrade to the Housing Allocations system, we will be offering applicants the ability to re-register online. This will mean that you no longer require a registration card; therefore, when you return your card it will be retained and destroyed in line with Council’s Data Protection Policy.
Please be aware, due to the reduced service there may be a disruption to the usual telephone service, therefore, we recommend that you contact us via our email address- email@example.com. If you are under the threat of homelessness or you are currently, homeless please visit our homelessness advice page.