Brightlingsea on the River Colne is rich in seafaring history and has the distinction of being the only Cinque Port outside Kent and Sussex. The town is a haven for yachting and hosts international sailing events annually.
Its sandy beach runs along Western Promenade next to Batemans Tower, a historic local landmark. A parade of beach huts lines an attractive and enjoyable waterside walk where you can join the nature trail along the site of an old railway line to Alresford Creek. A range of sports and leisure activities are available along the promenade and sailing barges offer pleasure trips to visitors.
Access by road via the B1027 and B1029
- Sandy and shingle
- Beach huts
- Dog restricted area
- Car Parking - pay car park / street parking
- Disabled visitors' facilities / disabled access to beach / disabled visitors parking spaces
- Activities - Windsurfing / surfing / canoeing / sailing / jet skiing
- First aid
- Lost child centre
Other things to be aware of
- Powered and non powered watercraft
- Submerged rocks on seawall
Check local signage for further information or contact Parking and Seafronts on 01255 686969 or email Seafronts@tendringdc.gov.uk