Struggling to pay your rent or Mortgage?

If you are having trouble keeping up with your payments, it is important that you seek advice as soon as possible.  We may be able to give you advice and assistance to prevent you from losing your home.

Talk to a Housing Options Officer by telephone:

01255 686438
01255 686444
01255 686445
01255 686446

If you become homeless outside of normal office hours, or at the weekend, you can contact Tendring Careline on 01255 222022 for further help.

Make an appointment with a Housing Options Officer on 01255 686465 or using the online form here.


Address: Housing Options Team, Town Hall, Station Road, Clacton-On-Sea, Essex, CO15 1SE

Help with your rent

If you have a low income you may be able to claim Local Housing Allowance (Housing Benefit) to help you pay your rent.

Why not check out our benefit calculator to see if you qualify.

Rent arrears

The Council is often approached by people who have been asked to leave accommodation because of rent arrears. There are some options you can consider if you find yourself in this situation.

  • Do not ignore the problem. Contact your landlord and explain your difficulties.
  • Ask your landlord to confirm how much money you owe.
  • Draw up a personal budget outlining your weekly or monthly expenditure so you know how much you can afford to pay each month to catch up.
  • Claim Local Housing Allowance (housing benefit) if you are on a low income. Many people think that they will not be entitled to Local Housing Allowance and Council Tax Benefit because they are working. If you do not apply, you will not find out! If you have been served with notice and you are waiting for your claim to be assessed, contact the benefit department to explain the situation.
  • Get advice immediately.  The Housing Options Team or a support agency could help you to negotiate with your landlord.

Help With Your Mortgage

A wide range of proactive steps are being taken by the Government in an effort to reduce the impact of the present economic conditions.

Information to help prevent repossessions for homeowners is set out below. For further details please refer to the mortgage advice leaflet.

Protection through the courts

A pre action protocol has been introduced setting out what lenders should do before taking action to repossess in the County Court.

Extra advice for households at court

There is a housing repossession court duty scheme which provides advice to householders who find themselves at court.

The scheme is funded by the Community Legal Services Commission with contributions from the Communities and Local Government department.

For the Tendring residents, this service is operated by Shelter and you can contact them by telephone on 0344 5151860.

Useful links

One Support

Citizens Advice website

National Debt Line website

Last updated on: 27/09/2017 - 11:45