Private Water Supplies Testing

Private Water Supplies

A private water supply is any water supply which is supplied to a property that is not provided by a water company.

Most supplies are situated in remote and rural locations and can originate from a range of sources including: boreholes, natural springs or wells.

The Private Water Supplies Regulations 2016 (Amendment) set out standards for the quality of the water and place a duty on the Council to sample and risk assess these supplies.

Safe drinking water is essential for good health. The regulations look to safeguard public health by ensuring that supplies are safe to drink by risk assessment and regular sampling.

The Regulations require us to keep a record of all private water supplies within our district.

If you have a private water supply, or are planning to install one, you must register the supply with us.

Private Water Supply Questionnaire (online)

Private Water Supply questionnaire  (PDF)

We contact those supplies that fall under the regulations to arrange for the assessments and sampling to be carried out throughout the year.

Categories of private water supplies:

Large supplies - a water supply serving over 50 people; or produces more than 10 m³ per day of water; or is used for commercial purposes, for example, rented properties, holiday lets, a bed & breakfast; or is public premises. These supplies require sampling at least once a year and a risk assessment undertaken every five years. If you are a tenant in rented accommodation that is served by a private water supply, please check with your landlord, or us, that the private water supply is registered with us so we can check that the water supply is wholesome and safe to drink.

Shared/Small supplies- a water supply serving two or more premises; produces less than 10m³ of water; and is not used for commercial purposes, or for public premises. These supplies require sampling and a risk assessment every five years.

Single supplies - a water supply that serves only one private domestic dwelling where no commercial activity takes place. (Rented properties would not fall into this category because of the commercial use). These supplies will only be sampled and risk assessed at the owner's request. This is often requested when people are looking to buy a property on a private water supply.

Private distribution systems - a water supply that is supplied by a water company and then further distributed by the account holder to a third party, for example, caravan parks. These supplies require a risk assessment every five years and sampling at a frequency dependent of the outcome of the risk assessment.

More information can be found online at:

Fee and Charges

The Regulations make provisions for local authorities to charge fees to the relevant person(s) for conducting duties under these regulations.

An hourly charge of £25.42 up to a maximum of £500 for risk assessment and £100 for investigation and authorisation (2019/2020).

Should you require any further information please contact the Environmental Protection Team.

Telephone: 01255 686767


Environmental Protection, Tendring District Council, 88-90 Pier Avenue, Clacton on Sea, Essex, CO15 1TN

Last updated on: 08/09/2020 - 08:07