Abandoned Vehicles

How do I report an abandoned vehicle?

If you believe a vehicle has been abandoned anywhere within the Tendring district and has been there for at least 4 weeks, please report it to us using the online report form.  Please include vehicle registration, make of vehicle, model of vehicle, colour and precise details of where the vehicle is located.  This will help us with our investigations.  You can also contact Environmental Services who will be able to answer any questions/queries on 01255 686799, email environmental.services@tendringdc.gov.uk.

N.B. Abandoned vehicles often get confused with nuisance vehicles.  An abandoned vehicle is always a nuisance but a nuisance vehicle is not always abandoned.  A nuisance vehicle could be any of the following:

  • Poorly parked
  • Causing an obstruction
  • Involved in residential parking disputes
  • Broken down
  • Untaxed

Please be advised that Environmental Services only investigate abandoned vehicles, if you have a query in relation to a nuisance vehicle please click on this link for the Considerate Parking Initiative.

Untaxed Vehicles

To report any untaxed vehicle please contact the DVLA directly, you will need to provide them with vehicle registration number, make, model and colour of vehicle and the street name, town and postcode of where the vehicle is located.

You can always write to the DVLA if you are unable able to report online at the below address:-

Enforcement Section,



Longview Road,

Swansea, SA7 0XZ

Vehicles for Sale

Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982

Schedule 4 – Street Trading Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005

The above Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982 has been adopted relating to the control of Street Trading within the Tendring district.  

Tendring District Council regularly monitors the sale of motor vehicles advertised/offered for sale throughout the district on the highway and on grass verges.  If you have a motor vehicle for sale on the highway and/or selling or exposing for sale two or more motor vehicles within 500 metres of each other then you are also in breach of the Clean Neighbourhoods & Environment Act 2005 and enforcement action may be considered.

To report vehicles for sale on highway land (highways and verges in the district) please fill in this online report form, or telephone Environmental Services on 01255 686799, or email environmental.services@tendringdc.gov.uk.

Last updated on: 13/06/2022 - 10:07