Travellers who pitched up last Tuesday on Walton’s Columbine Centre overflow car park have vacated the site over the weekend.
A Direction to Leave order was issued on Wednesday and ignored and so a court summons with a hearing set for yesterday (Monday) had been put in place.
Officers from the Essex Countywide Traveller Unit (ECTU) confirmed the group had left and they were not aware of any further encampments in the district at this time.
Cllr Paul Honeywood, Tendring District Council’s (TDC) Cabinet Member for Housing said he was pleased that the travellers had moved on, but was dismayed at the amount of rubbish left behind.
“Although we have got the required outcome by following the agreed procedures, once again the taxpayer has been left to foot the bill and clean up after the travellers,” he said.
A team from TDC has cleared the rubbish.