Discounts and Exemptions

There are several ways we can help to reduce your Council Tax bill.

How to apply

Please click the headings below to see further information on ways to apply for your specific discount or exemption.

Local Council Tax Support

Local Council Tax Support is a reduction of your council tax bill based on:

  • Your income
  • The size of your family
  • Other adults who live with you
  • The amount of Council Tax you have to pay

In general, the lower your income the more the bill can be reduced by Local Council Tax Support. From 1st April 2015 everyone of working age will have to pay at least 20% of their bill.

Other adults (non-dependants) who live with you may be expected to help you pay the Council Tax. This means you may get less help from Local Council Tax Support.

The rules for Local Council Tax Support  are different depending on whether you are:

  • Working age
  • Pension age

For more information about Local Council Tax support, including how to apply, please visit the help to pay your council tax page.

Single Person Discount

A full Council Tax bill is based on at least two adults living in your home. You will get 25% off your bill if you live alone.

Please complete the form below to apply.

Online Form to apply for a Single Person's Discount

Sometimes we will need to conduct further enquires to check you qualify for the discount. We will get in touch if we need any further information from you.

Other Discounts

A full Council Tax bill is based on at least two adults living in your home. You will get 25% of your bill if you live alone, or you are the only person living in the property who is counted for Council Tax purposes.

These people are not counted for Council Tax:

  • Children under 18
  • People on some apprentice schemes
  • 18 and 19 year olds in full-time education
  • Full-time college and university students
  • Young people under 25 who get funding from the skills funding agency or young people's learning agency
  • Student nurses
  • Foreign language assistants registered with the British Council
  • People with a severe mental disability
  • Live-in carers who look after someone who isn't their partner, spouse or child
  • Diplomats
  • Members of International Headquarters and Defence Organisations
  • Members of religious communities
  • People in detention/prison

To apply for one of these discounts, please use our enquiry form.

Empty Properties/Second Homes

There is usually a full charge for unoccupied properties, whether they are furnished or unfurnished. Some unoccupied properties can receive an exemption. Details about these exemptions are below.

Full-time Students

If every member of your household is a full-time student, you can apply for a Council Tax exemption.

If only some of the members of your household are full-time students, you may still qualify for a discount. Please see the section - Other Discounts.

If you believe you qualify for a Student Exemption or Discount please complete this form Student Discount Form

To count as a full-time student, your course must:

  • Last at least 1 year
  • Involve at least 21 hours study per week

If you are studying for a qualification up to A-level and you're under 20, your course must:

  • Last at least 3 months
  • Involve at least 12 hours study per week

People with Disabilities

The disabled Band Reduction scheme makes sure disabled people don't pay more Council Tax if they need a bigger property, or have adapted their home because of their disability. Your bill can be reduced by treating the dwelling as if it was in the band immediately below its actual band.

The property must be the main home of at least one person who is 'substantially and permanently' disabled. They can be an adult or a child and don't have to be responsible for paying the Council Tax. A physical disability, learning difficulties or mental health issues can all be qualifying conditions.

To qualify, the property must have:

  • A room which is mainly used by the disabled resident and is essential, or a major importance to their welfare; or
  • An extra bathroom or extra kitchen which is necessary to meet the needs of the disabled resident; or
  • Enough floor space to use a wheelchair. The disabled resident must need to use the wheelchair indoors.

Part of the application form will need to be completed by the disabled person's doctor and a Council Tax inspector will need to visit the property to view the special facilities in place.

To apply for this discount, please use our enquiry form.

Care Home Residents

If every member of your household has gone to live in a care home, you can apply for a Council Tax exemption.

If only some members of your household are now care home residents, you may still qualify for a discount. Please see the section - Other Discounts.

To apply for this discount or exemption, please use our enquiry form.

Repairs Or Alterations

Class D Discount

A property may receive 100% discount for up to 12 months if it requires or is undergoing major repair works, or is undergoing structural alterations.

In the case of repairs, a further 6 month discount can be granted after the works are completed, as long as the total duration of both discounts does not exceed 12 months and the property remains unfurnished and unoccupied.

Please note that it is the property, not the owner, which is entitled to a 12 month discount. If you purchase a property for which a discount has already been granted, you will be entitled to the remainder of the 12 month period.

Major repair works

These are repairs that are essential and have some significance to the property as a whole. For example: replacing a roof, or major and extensive damp treatments to the internal/external walls.

Structural alterations

These affect the main structure of the property. For example: moving of walls (not repairing), or stripping of lath and plaster off ceilings and walls.

In all cases the extent of work required would mean any occupants would have to vacate the property and remove their furniture in order to undertake the work. Replacing kitchens, bathrooms, windows, heating system and the like are generally carried out whilst properties are occupied and therefore would not be deemed to be major works.

Use the link below to make your application.  Please upload any relevant documents that will support your request, eg photos of work in progress, structural/damp surveys, receipts and invoices. Each application will be looked at on an individual basis and may require an internal inspection by one of our inspectors.

Apply online for a Class D Discount

Exemptions For Unoccupied Properties

B) unoccupied dwellings owned by charities - up to 6 months only

D) unoccupied because taxpayer is in prison

E) unoccupied because taxpayer has moved to a care home or hospital

F) unoccupied when the owner has died and the property has to be sold to clear the debts of the estate or the deceased did not leave a will. The exemption can apply for up to 6 months after probate or letters of administration have been granted.

G) Occupation is prohibited by law

H) Empty dwelling being held for a Minister of Religion

I) unoccupied by person receiving care

J) Unoccupied by a person providing care elsewhere

K) unoccupied by students

L) repossessed properties

Q) property left empty by a bankrupt

R) unoccupied caravan pitches and boat moorings

T) unoccupied annexes or properties situated within the curtilage of another dwelling

To apply for an exemption, please use our enquiry form.

Exemptions For Occupied Properties

M) college/university halls of residence

N) property solely occupied by full time students

O) armed forces accommodation

P) visiting forces accommodation

S) All occupants are aged under 18

U) property occupied solely by those who are severely mentally impaired

V) diplomat's property

W) annex occupied by a dependant relative

To apply for an exemption, please use our enquiry form.

Job Related Discount

A 50% discount is available to the owner of a furnished property, when they are required to live elsewhere by their contract of employment (e.g caretakers). They must be liable for Council Tax at both properties to be eligible for the discount.

To apply for this discount, please use our enquiry form.

Mobile Home Discount

Unoccupied mobile homes or caravans may be eligible for a 50% discount.

To apply for this discount, please use our enquiry form.

Reductions For Annexes

A 50% reduction in Council Tax applies for people living in annexes provided they are related to the person liable to pay the Council Tax on the main dwelling. Unless they are already exempt under class W (dependant relative) or Class T (Unoccupied and cannot be let separately from the main dwelling.)

The reduction also applies for people living in dwellings with annexes which are unoccupied provided they are using the annexe as part of their main residence.

To apply for this discount, please use our enquiry form.

Last updated on: 11/02/2016 - 14:39