Council Tax Appeals

Council Tax Bill

You can appeal to the Council Tax office if:

  • You think we've billed the wrong person
  • You think your home should be exempt from Council Tax
  • You think you should have a discount or reduction

Appeals should be made in writing to:

Council Tax
Tendring District Council
88-90 Pier Avenue
Clacton on Sea
CO15 1TN

Please provide full details of why you think your bill is wrong and a telephone number so we can contact you. If we decide your bill was wrong, we will send you a new one. If the bill is right, we will tell you why.

You must continue paying Council Tax while you await the outcome of your appeal, as we are unable to withhold recovery action in the meantime.

Council Tax Band

Challenging your Council Tax band is a straightforward process and is free of charge. You can view your property and check if you can request a review by selecting 'council tax' on  You can contact the VOA using

For a step-by-step guide to challenging your band, please visit


Visit the landlords' information page for more information about Council Tax and landlords.


Last updated on: 03/03/2020 - 13:41