Charitable rate relief
Charities are entitled to mandatory rate relief from payment of the business rates on any non-domestic property that is wholly or mainly used for charitable purposes. Relief is given at 80 per cent of the bill. The Council also has the discretion to give further relief on the remaining bill.
Rate relief for sports clubs
This relief came into effect on 1 April 2004 and grants mandatory rate relief of 80% to sports clubs that have registered with the HM Revenue & Customs as Community Amateur Sports Clubs (CASCs).
Many amateur sports clubs can register as CASCs without making any changes to the way they operate. However, they must be able to satisfy the following:
- Is membership of the club open to the whole community?
- Are all the club's facilities available to members without discrimination?
- Does the club's constitution prevent profits of the club being distributed amongst it's members?
- Does the club provide facilities for and encourage participation in eligible sports?
- Does the club's constitution provide that on dissolution of the club, any net assets are to be applied for approved sporting or charitable purposes?
You check to see if your sports club qualifies for registration with HM Revenues and Customs.
Should you apply for registration and be successful, please send documentary evidence to the following address with your account number. Your Business Rate bill will be adjusted to show the relief with effect from the date of registration.
Tendring District Council
Benefits and Revenues Service (NNDR)
88-90 Pier Avenue
Rate relief for businesses in rural areas
This applies to business within rural settlements within the Tendring area. Businesses that qualify under this scheme from 1 April 2017 will receive 100% mandatory rate relief. Each business must be:
- A sole shop, general store or post office with a rateable value of up to £8,500
- Any food shop with a rateable value of up to £8,500 (catering premises are not included)
- A sole petrol filling station or public house with a rateable value of up to £12,500
Full details can be found in the Council's policy.
There is a £1500 business rates discount for office space occupied by local newspapers in England up to a maximum of one discount per local newspaper title and per hereditament, and up to state aid limits, for two years from the 1 April 2017.
Full Fibre infrastructure
There is a new 100% business rate relief for new full fibre infrastructure for a 5 year period from 1 April 2017.