Exhibiting Animals

This application is subject to tacit approval under the European Union Services Directive.   Applications are usually dealt with within 35 days of receipt of a full application.   In exceptional circumstances the deadline may be required to be extended, you will be notified of the new deadline and the reason for extending it.

The registration of exhibiting animals falls under The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018.

It is an offence for anyone to train or exhibit an animal unless they are registered to do so. The Regulation is designed to cover the use of animals in stage performances, at circuses, as part of exhibitions etc.

Anybody wishing to use animals to perform within the Tendring area must register with Essex County Council's Trading Standards. Any premises exhibiting animals within the Tendring area must also register. Anyone performing in the Tendring area, but living outside, should also register with their own authority.

No person should engage in exhibiting animals without having a risk assessment carried out by a competent person. Advice should be sought from one of the following:

  • trained animal handler
  • veterinarian
  • zoo
  • university department.

For information please contact Essex County Council Trading Standards.


Last updated on: 23/10/2018 - 10:04