House to House Collections

Please note that the Licensing Office is open for pre-arranged appointments only. Documents can be posted or emailed to the Licensing Office.

Door to door collections for cash and/or goods, including envelope collections and those from pub to pub need to be licensed.  The Home Office licenses national collections and the District Council regulates smaller collections.

These collections need to be undertaken in accordance with the House to House Collections Act 1939.

Ideally, applications should be submitted at least one month prior to the first collection date.  It is particularly important to leave enough time to order and received the necessary prescribed badges and certificates of authority from Her Majesty's Stationery Office.

Within three months of the Collection a return form showing details of the monies collected must be completed and returned to the licensing authority.

If you wish to apply for a House to House Collection Permit you can download the relevant information and forms by clicking on the links below.

Apply Online (via Website)

Applications are usually dealt with within 2 weeks of receipt of a full application.  In very exceptional circumstances the deadline may be required to be extended, you will be notified of the new deadline and the reason for extending it.

Essex Police Guidance

Essex Police have produced guidance for the public when giving charitable donations either in the street or from doorstep collectors and which also includes advice as well for legitimate charities and charity collectors about how we can all work together to prevent fraud against both the public and against legitimate charities.

Charities Safer Giving

Support Charity Not Crime

Licensing Team
Town Hall, Station Road, Clacton on Sea, Essex, CO15 1SE

Last updated on: 09/03/2022 - 10:45