Caravan Site Licence and Residential Mobile Homes Site Rules

Caravan Licences - Standards for Caravan Sites

Anyone stationing a caravan or mobile home on land and using it for accommodation will require planning permission both for the caravan or mobile home and for the use of the land for residential purposes.

There are some limited exceptions to this which covers small numbers of touring caravans (up to 5) on land for a limited period of time, where the owner of the land has a certificate from an organisation such as the caravan club.

Where a site has got planning permission the owner of the site must have a caravan site licence which is granted by Tendring District Council. The purpose of the licence is to regulate the standards being maintained. To ensure that there is adequate space between the vehicles to protect against the spread of fire and that fire precautions are maintained, that the electricity supply to the site is safe and that there is adequate facilities in terms of water, sanitation and recreation space.

More detailed information about standards on licenced caravan sites is available below:

Caravan Site Licensing Standards

Applying for a Licence

You can print the licencing form here Caravan Site License Form

Holiday Site Conditions

Touring Site Conditions

Camping Site Conditions

Residential Mobile Homes Conditions

This application is subject to tacit approval under the European Union Services Directive.   Applications are usually dealt with within 62 days of receipt of full application.   In exceptional circumstances the deadline may be required to be extended, you will be notified of the new deadline and the reason for extending it.

Residential Mobile Homes Site Rules

We are required under the Mobile Homes 1983 (as amended by the Mobile Homes Act 2013) to keep and publish an up-to-date register of park home rules.

Sites rules on residential mobile home sites ensure community cohesion and good management of the site, while also making sure that mobile home owners are clear of the rules that apply to them.

The Mobile Homes (Site Rules) Regulations 2014 detail the procedure that a site owner must use when making, varying or deleting a site rule. They establish the process for consulting on proposed changes, grant appeals rights and require local authorities to keep and publish a register of site rules of sites in their area.


  1. When a site owner undertakes a review of existing rules or wants to make any new rules they must first consult with all mobile home owners and any qualifying residents association (QRA). The consultation must be open for all responses for a minimum of 28 days. Within 21 days of the end of the consultation the site owner must send a Consultation Response Document to all home owners notifying them of the result of the consultation and which site rules are to be adopted.
  2. If a mobile home owner wishes to appeal, the site owner’s decision to adopt, delete or vary a suite rule, they must apply to the Residential Property Tribunal (RPT) within 21 days of receiving the consultation response document.
  3. Once the new rules are agreed, the site owner must deposit the new site rules with Tendring District Council no later than 42 days after serving the consultation response document. If an appeal has been lodged, the site owner cannot deposit the site rules until the appeal has been determined. Once the appeal has been determined, the site owner has 14 days to deposit the site rules which this authority, unless otherwise specified by the tribunal.


Site Name and AddressSite LicenceSite Rules
Castle Hill Park, London Road, Clacton, CO16 9QWCastle Hill Castle Park
Dovercourt Haven Caravan Park, Low Road, Dovercourt, CO12 3TZDovercourt HavenDovercourt Haven
Flagship Country Park, Flag Hill, Great Bentley, CO7 8REFlagship Country ParkFlagship Country Park
Frating Mobile Caravan Park, Main Road, Frating Green, CO7 7DNFrating Mobile Caravan Park 
Greenlawns Mobile Home Park, St Osyth Park East, Little Clacton,CO16 9RP Greenlawns Mobile Home ParkGreenlawns Mobile Home Park
Meadowview Residential Home Park, St Osyth Road East, Little Clacton, CO16 9NNMeadowview Residential Home ParkMeadowview Residential Home Park
Oakleigh Residential Park, Clacton Road, Weeley, CO16 9DHOakleigh  
Old Mill Mobile Home Site, The Old Mill, Mill Lane, Thorpe Le Soken, CO16 0EDOld Mill Mobile Home Site 
Sacketts Grove Jaywick Lane, Jaywick Lane, Clacton, CO16 7BDSacketts GroveSacketts Grove


Residential Mobile Home Sites

From 1st April 2015 residential mobile homes sites known as “Park Home Sites” and mixed sites with residential and holiday mobile homes will need to be licenced under the Mobile Homes Act 2013.

Site owners of existing sites will need to make an application for a new licence as the licence they currently hold for residential caravans/mobile homes under the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 will no longer be valid after 1st April 2015, however mixed sites, the old licence will continue to apply for the holiday and touring caravan element of the site.

Planning permission for residential mobile homes will need to be in place first and the site owner or manager will need to be a “fit and proper” person to hold such a licence.

For residents selling or buying a residential mobile home, new rules are in place.

Additional Mobile Home Guidance can be found at:-

Licence Conditions

We attach conditions to licences, and if site licence conditions aren’t met, Tendering District Council can take enforcement action which includes the serving of Compliance Notices or Fixed Penalty Notices. Site licence conditions are designed to protect the health, safety and welfare of residents and covers things like drainage, distances between mobile homes and so on.

Site Rules

Site rules are not compulsory, but where a site has park rules, these will need to be reviewed before 1st October 2015 and sent to this department, so they can be reviewed online by the public. More information about “Site Rules” and the process for reviewing them can be found at:-

More Information

Site Owners – British Holiday and Home Park Association

Site Residents – National Association of Park Home Residents

If you have any queries regarding caravan site licensing or about the standards of accommodation being provided in a mobile home or on a caravan site, please contact our Health and Safety Section. 

Contact Details:

Address: Operational Services
88-90 Pier Avenue
Clacton on Sea
CO15 1TN

Telephone: 01255 686617

Last updated on: 06/10/2021 - 14:36