Boat and Boatman Licensing

Please note that the Licensing Office is open for pre-arranged appointments only. Documents can be posted or emailed to the Licensing Office.

Tendring District Council is responsible for the licensing of boats and boatmen where up to twelve members of the public are transported, whether on a commercial or charitable basis, for whatever reason.  The boats have to pass a full Marine Survey and carry a set amount of equipment which must comply with the necessary standards and be maintained to those standards.  The person in charge must also be suitably qualified to pilot the type of vessel involved.  An insurance policy must be in force and prior to applying for a boat licence, you should confirm with the Licensing Section the level of insurance cover that is required.

The areas that are licensed by the Council are subject to various limits with regard to the distance boats may go from the shore and beyond these limits or, if the boat carries more than twelve passengers, you will need to contact the Maritime and Coastguard Agency for advice.

The fee for both Boat and Boatman's Licences is £54.00 and this is reviewed on an annual basis.  In certain circumstances and if you possess a Department of Transport Licence or a Royal Yachting Association Licence of a suitable standard, the fee for the grant or renewal of a Boatman's Licence is waived and you should enquire with regard to this prior to submitting your application.  All licences expire yearly on 31 March.

How to apply

If you wish to apply for a Boat or Boatman Licence you can download the relevant forms by clicking on the links below.

 Apply Online

Click here to view the Boat Conditions

Applications are usually dealt with within 2 weeks of receipt of a full application.  In very exceptional circumstances the deadline may be required to be extended, you will be notified of the new deadline and the reason for extending it.

Immigration, Asylum & Nationality Act 2006

To comply with the Immigration, Asylum & Nationality Act 2006 this Council is required to check your eligibility to live and work in the UK.  You will be required to confirm that you are able to live and work in the UK and that on request, you will be able to provide evidence of this.

The main Act of Parliament governing Boats and Boatman are:-

Recreational Craft Regulations 2004

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted.

Licensing Office

Town Hall, Station Road, Clacton on Sea, Essex, CO15 1SE

Last updated on: 09/03/2022 - 09:54