The aim of the licensing requirements is to achieve certain standards in the management of the accommodation and to ensure precautions against disease and fire. This is done by attaching conditions to a licence to ensure that animals are kept in suitable accommodation.
If you wish to apply for an Animal Boarding Establishment or Home Boarding of Dogs Licence you can apply online via the Business Link Website. Unfortunately our online form is currently unavailable please use the PDF's below and send to the address at the bottom of this page.
The licence is renewable annually. The licence will expire on 31st December irrespective of when it is issued.
Other matters to be considered are:
- whether you will require planning permission for change of use or for building the necessary accommodation
- the disposal of waste and litter
- the potential for nuisance to neighbours – for example from barking dogs
- the health, safety and welfare requirements in relation to anyone you may employ in connection with the business (e.g. ‘kennel maids’)
- if you are a quarantine kennels you should have regard to Defra voluntary code of practice (see information on rabies).
This application is subject to tacit approval under the European Union Services Directive. Applications are usually dealt with within 35 days of receipt of a full application. In exceptional circumstances the deadline may be required to be extended, you will be notified of the new deadline and the reason for extending it.
Telephone: 01255 686767