- whether you will require planning permission for change of use or for building the necessary accommodation
- the disposal of waste and litter
- the potential for nuisance to neighbours – for example from barking dogs
- the health, safety and welfare requirements in relation to anyone you may employ in connection with the business (e.g. ‘kennel assistants’)
- if you are a quarantine kennels you should have regard to DEFRA voluntary code of practice (see information on rabies).
The Council aims to process and determine whether or not to grant a licence within 10 weeks of receipt of a full application. In certain circumstances this deadline may be extended.
Subject to the local authority agreeing to grant a licence, each premises will receive a star-rating from 1 star to 5 stars, depending on how well the business complies with the licence conditions set out within The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals (England) Regulations 2018. The licence will be issued for either 1, 2 or 3 years, depending on the star-rating achieved. A 1 star licence will only be granted to existing businesses with a licence that have minor failings. New businesses must meet the minimum standards for a licence to be granted. For a higher star-rating of 4 or 5 stars, the higher standards set out within the statutory guidance must be met.
88-90 Pier AvenueClacton-on-SeaEssexCO15 1TN
Telephone: 01255 686767