Apply for help to pay rent or council tax

If you have a low income you may be able to get help with paying your rent (Housing Benefit) and/or council tax (Local Council Tax Support).

How to apply

Both Housing Benefit (HB) and Local Council Tax Support (LCTS) are means tested.  How much help you get will depend on how much income and capital you have.

a) If you have made a claim for, or you are already receiving:

  • Pension Credit
  • Job Seekers Allowance Income Based
  • Income Support
  • Employment Support Allowance income Related

Please complete this enquiry form.  Please make sure that you give us your name and telephone number.  We will usually call you back within 48 hours to discuss your claim.

If you have not claimed any of the above benefits follow these steps:

Step 1

Use our benefit calculator links below. You will need your income details. Remember to keep a record of your calculation I.D number, this will be displayed after saving the calculation. You will be asked for this I.D when you book a new claim appointment.

Link to benefit calculator if you rent your home

Link to benefit calculator if you own your home

Step 2

If the calculator tells you that you qualify, print out the result if you can.

Step 3

Telephone 01255 686811 and speak to an advisor who will take you through the claim process.

Last updated on: 08/06/2018 - 13:44