Health advice

NHS services

NHS 111

Call 111 for urgent medical help or advice but not a life-threatening situation.

A&E or 999

Please remember that if you have a life-threatening illness or injury you should go straight to A&E or call 999. This includes:

  • chest pains
  • shortness of breath
  • blood loss
  • Stroke
  • blacking out (loss of consciousness)
  • major injury to a limb or other part of your body
  • a major accident
  • anything you think might be life-threatening

Walk-in centres, minor injuries units

  • Walk In Service (open 7am - 10pm) at North Colchester Healthcare Centre,Turner Road, Colchester, CO4 5JR
  • Clacton Minor Injuries Unit (open 9am-9pm) at Clacton Hospital, Tower Road, Clacton on Sea, CO15 1LH
  • Harwich Minor Injuries Unit (open 9am-5pm) at The Fryatt Hospital, Main Road, Harwich, CO12 4EX

You can drop into any of these services without an appointment. When they are closed you can also contact your GP surgery for your GP out of hours service.


Your pharmacist can give you advice for many common minor illnesses, such as diarrhoea, minor infections, headache, travel advice or sore throats


Make an appointment with your GP if you are feeling unwell and it is not an emergency.

Useful Links

NHS Choices - can help you make lifestyle changes such as losing weight, stopping smoking or getting fit.  It also has lots of information on a wide range of illnesses.  NHS Choices also has a series of symptom checkers. The site will also tell you, based on your symptoms, the best course of action to take, whether that’s managing the symptoms yourself right through to going to A&E.  In most instances self-care is the best option, but this website will give you the confidence that it’s the right thing to do.

NHS Livewell

NHS Immunisation

Get Well Essex - find the right local health care service to get you well.

Self care forum - get involved with other patients and health experts to better manage your own health condition

Counselling directory


Tendring District Council's leisure centres and pools

A practical guide to health ageing

Avian influenza (bird flu) advice on website

Last updated on: 20/06/2017 - 14:46