FAQs about Essex County Council election Thursday 4 May 2017

Frequently asked questions about the Essex County Council election on Thursday 4 May 2017.

When is the election being held?

Thursday 4 May 2017. Polling Stations will be open from 7am to 10pm.

Who are the candidates?

To view a list of nominated candidates for each Division, please refer to the Statement of Persons Nominated which will be published from 4pm on Tuesday 4 April 2017 on the Essex County Council election page.

Many candidates will be campaigning ahead of the election and you may receive campaign material delivered to your address.

Where can I find more information about the election?

Further information can be found on


Am I registered to vote?

To find out if you are on the electoral register, telephone Electoral Services on 01255 686566.

You can check the register in person between the hours of 9.30am and 4pm on normal working days at the Town Hall, Station Road, Clacton-on-Sea, Essex, CO15 1SE.

Additionally, all registered electors who are eligible to vote will be sent a poll card at the end of March.

Am I eligible to register to vote?

You can only vote if you are registered by the registration deadline. You are eligible to register if you are:

  • 16 or over in England and Wales (but you cannot vote until you are 18); 
  • A UK, Republic of Ireland or qualifying Commonwealth citizen. (Qualifying Commonwealth citizens are those who have leave to enter or remain in the UK, or do not require such leave)
  • A citizen of a European Union country living in the UK
  • A citizen of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or a British Overseas Territory living in the UK

How do I register to vote?

You can register on-line by going to www.gov.uk/register-to-vote. All you need is your name, address, date of birth and National Insurance Number. It only takes a few minutes. The last date to register for this election is Thursday 13 April 2017.

Or you can call the Tendring District Council Electoral Services team on 01255 686566.

More information about registering to vote can be found on our register to vote page.

I’m not on the Register of Electors but I’ve been paying my Council Tax for ages! 

The information required to enable a person to be included on the electoral register is not the same as the information needed for Council Tax; for example, you need to provide your nationality when applying to register, and it is possible that the details of others living at an address are not included in the Council Tax information.

 All residential properties are canvassed each year during the annual canvass and at least one voter registration form is hand delivered to each property then. It is also possible for people who change address between the annual canvasses to register throughout the year by contacting the electoral services team.

When will I get my Poll Card?

Poll Cards for existing electors are due to be posted out on Monday 27 March 2017 and will be issued to newly registered electors at regular intervals ahead of the election, until Wednesday 26 April 2017.

I haven’t received a poll card yet, or I have lost mine – what should I do?

Depending on when you registered to vote, you should receive your poll card between 29 March and 26 April, so it might still be on its way. You don’t need to take your poll card to the polling station to be able to vote unless you are registered anonymously.

When you go to the polling station, give your name and address to the polling staff and they will give you your ballot paper. If you are unsure where to go, you can find your polling station via our How and Where to Vote page.

I’ve received my poll card but my name is spelt wrong, or has my previous name on it. Does it matter?

Not necessarily. If you are registered, you can vote. Just give the polling station staff your card and tell them you are the same person as listed on the register.

If your name is spelt wrong, please contact us and we can amend the error. However, if you have recently married or have changed your name you will need to complete a change of details form, which can be obtained from Electoral Services on 01255 686566.

I’ve received poll cards for the previous occupants. Where are ours and can we use theirs?

No, a previous occupier’s poll card cannot be used. You will need to be registered at your new address to vote and the deadline is Thursday 13 April 2017. Find out how to register via our Register to vote page.

Please contact us either by phone 01255 686566 or by email elections@tendringdc.gov.uk to let us know the previous occupiers have moved away or send the poll card back to indicate this.

My relative died recently, so why have you sent him/her a poll card?

The poll card will probably have been sent because he/she appeared on the Register of Electors at the time the poll cards were printed.  

If a resident of the District dies, we are normally informed by the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages in due course, but if it was recent, the death may not yet have been notified to us.

Please contact Electoral Services on 01255 686566 with details.

The relevant legislation requires the Electoral Registration Officer to have sight of a copy of the death certificate or receive formal notification from the registrar.

Copies of the death certificate can be provided to us via

  • Post – Electoral Services, Town Hall, Station Road, Clacton-on-Sea, Essex, CO15 1SE.
  • Email – elections@tendringdc.gov.uk (Scanned copies will be accepted)
  • Personal visit to the reception desk at the Town Hall, Clacton on Sea. 

My son/daughter/husband/lodger doesn’t live here now but you delivered a poll card for them – why?

They are probably still registered to vote at the address and either we have not been told that they have moved away or we have not received sufficient information to enable us to delete their entry. If they haven’t yet registered at their new address, they may still be able to vote at the polling station mentioned on their poll card. They won’t need their poll card to vote.

Please contact us on 01255 686566 to let us know.

Where is my polling station?

If you don’t vote by post, details of your designated polling station will be on your Poll Card.  You can also check your polling station location on our where to vote page.

I can’t get to the polling station on 4 May - can I vote by post or by proxy?

Yes, as long as you are eligible to vote. The deadlines to apply are:

  • 5pm on Tuesday 18 April 2017 to either apply for a postal vote or to cancel or make changes to an existing postal vote or proxy vote
  • 5pm on Tuesday 25 April 2017 to apply for a proxy vote

 For more information please visit our voting by post or proxy page.

When will postal votes be sent out?

Postal voting packs will be sent out by 1st class post on 21 April 2017.

I am registered for a Postal Vote but will be going away before the Postal Votes are due to arrive until after Polling Day – how can I vote?

If you will not be at your registered address to receive your postal vote between 22 April - 4 May 2017, we recommend you apply to vote by proxy however, you can only do this before the deadline for cancelling an existing postal vote which is 5pm on Tuesday 18 April 2017.

You can apply for a Proxy vote up until 5pm on Tuesday 25 April 2017 – to do so please visit www.yourvotematters.co.uk  and choose the "particular election or referendum only" application form or contact Electoral Services on 01255 686566 or by email at elections@tendringdc.gov.uk

You’ve sent me a postal vote but I don’t want one/I didn’t apply for one – what should I do?

If it is before 5pm on Tuesday 18 April 2017, we can cancel your postal vote, but you will need to ask us to do that in writing, via letter or by email us in a signed letter to elections@tendringdc.gov.uk.

If it is after 5pm on Tuesday 18 April 2017, you will not be able to cast your vote at a polling station. However, for this election, if you don’t want to post it or it is too late to post it back to us in time for it to be received by 4 May 2017, you can take your postal vote to any polling station in your County Division on polling day. You can also deliver it to the Town Hall, Station Road, Clacton-on-Sea before 10pm. (There is an external post box that will be emptied before the count begins).

If you want to cancel your postal vote for future elections, please notify Electoral Services in writing.

When will we know the result of the election?

The votes will be counted and verified following the close of poll on 4 May 2017. The results will be published on our website after each division result is declared by the Deputy Returning Officer.

Last updated on: 11/04/2017 - 10:22